Is your mum becoming more forgetful? Is your dad struggling to climb the stairs?

There are times when your mum, dad or someone close to you might need extra support to do everyday things. Whether that’s due to age, being frail, a health condition, disability or a change in home circumstances, there is huge choice of care and support available to help them.

Many organisations in Surrey, including voluntary, community and faith organisations can work with you to help you get the support that might be needed to help the person you love stay well and independent for longer.

Where to look for help?

One Stop Surrey

Through a simple checklist you can specify the kind of information and support you would be interested in receiving for someone you care for. Please fill in the online form and submit back to us. This enables us to contact you with the relevant information or service provision.

Popular services

Age UK Surrey

Provide information, advice and services such as:

  • Help at home - home helps provide a variety of domestic support, such as, cleaning the house, laundry, shopping, bed-changing, walking the dog and cooking light meals.

Alzheimer’s Society

Alzheimer’s Society offers a wide range of services for both people with dementia and their carers across Surrey.

Meals on wheels

Meals on wheels are run by your local council for those who are unable to cook for themselves because of age or disability. Click on your local council to learn more about getting food delivered to a resident’s home.

· Elmbridge - Tel: 01372 474552

· Epsom and Ewell - Tel: 01372 732421

· Guildford - Tel: 01483 503010

· Runnymede - Tel: 01932 425010

· Spelthorne - Tel: 01784 444265

· Surrey Heath - Tel: 01276 707660

· Tandridge - Tel: 01883 347230

· Waverley - Tel: 01252 727280

· Woking - Tel: 01483 770777

Surrey Telecare

Telecare is the name given to the range of sensors which link with the traditional community or lifeline alarm and alert people that you need help.

Community Transport

A number of organisations offer specialist door-to-door transport, catering for people who are unable to take advantage of traditional buses.

Surrey Libraries

If a resident has difficulty getting to the library owing to ill-health, disability, mobility problems or caring responsibilities but still want to enjoy books and audio books they may be eligible to register for the Library Direct service.

Support for people with sensory impairments

Sensory Services by Sight for Surrey is the largest charitable organisation in Surrey working with people who are visually impaired, Deaf, Hard of Hearing or who have combined sight and hearing loss, Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Paying for care

Care and support services in England are not free like healthcare. Most people have to pay something towards their own care and some will have to pay for all of the costs.

Your local authority (Surrey County Council) may cover some or all of the cost of care in some circumstances, but its help is "means-tested". This means that who pays depends on what a person’s needs are, how much money they have, and what level and type of care and support is required.

For most people needing social care services, the first place to start is by asking your local authority for an assessment of your social care (care and support) needs.

Other websites that can help

· Age UK

· Healthy Surrey

· Action for Carers


· Care and Support for adults in Surrey